H-2B Skilled/Unskilled Workers

While a very limited number of H-2B Visas are issued each year (currently 66,000), the visa is nonetheless useful. The H-2B visa enables many US businesses and agents to fill temporary needs for nonimmigrant workers for jobs that are a one-time occurrence, seasonal in nature, as a result of some peakload need, or an intermittent need. The visa is not self-petitioned, which means you will need an employer to sponsor you. Your spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 are allowed to join you in the US under the H-4 status. Dependents are not permitted to work, unless they independently qualify for a work visa.


The first step is to apply for a Temporary Labor Certification from the US Department of Labor (DOL). You must meet all requirements of the DOL, and you must prove that there are no US workers available for the proposed position. The employer must then attempt to recruit eligible US individuals for the proposed positions. Once this recruitment process is over, the DOL will send the employer labor certification. The employer can then petition USCIS for your H-2B visa. After approval of this petition, you may apply at the consulate in your home nations.